This website tends to major on the shared geopolitical interests of Britain and America. But economic factors also bind our nations together; in addition to very important shared interests in defence and intelligence.
Here are some relevant facts from the website of Britain's Washington Embassy:
- "The US is overwhelmingly the UK's biggest foreign direct investment partner and vice-versa. The UK has more investment in the US than any other single country, with total assets in 2004 valued at $252 billion. The US is the single largest investor in the UK, with net assets worth over $179 billion (also in 2004);
- US investment flows to the UK in 2004, at $23 billion, accounted for approximately 25% of total US investment in the European Union as a whole that year;
- More than 7,000 British companies have established offices in the US More than 5,000 US companies are based in the UK.
- Affiliate employment between the U.S. and the UK provided jobs for more than 1 million workers in both the UK and the U.S. in 2001;
- Sales from U.S. affiliate companies in the UK alone exceeded aggregate sales in Latin America in 2002;
- In 2004, U.S. exports to the UK totalled about $36 billion, while U.S. imports from the UK stood at roughly $46 billion."